Thursday, April 2, 2009

Yum, Banana Bread...

So after grocery shopping last night I was cleaning off the top of my fridge and found 7 very ripe bananas. So I got the bug up my butt to bake banana bread. I found my mom's recipe and decided to do a little tweaking to make it a little more on the healthy side since my husband pretty much devours any banana bread he sees. (I should note I did suffer the misfortune of losing one of the bananas to Miss Chevelle who throws a temper tantrum everytime she sees a banana that is not going into her mouth). So here's my recipe for a healthier banana bread.

Ingredients
1/2 cup margarine
3/4 cup splenda
4 egg whites, beaten
4 bananas, finely crushed
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 tablespoons ground flax meal
3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ

Optional: Use applesauce instead of margarine (I don't do this because it changes the texture of my bread) and 1/2 cup chopped almonds or walnuts

Directions
1 Cream together butter and splenda.
2 Add eggs and crushed bananas.
3 Combine well.
4 Sift together flour, soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Add vanilla.
5 Pour into greased and floured loaf pan.
6 Let the batter sit for 10 minutes for the banana flavor to fully permeate.
7 Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
8 Keeps well, refrigerated.



Here is the picture of the big loaf I made (not really sure why the picture is sideways...) sorry one piece is already gone darn DH. I also halved all the ingredients and made two small mini loave which I will freeze for my girls to have for breakfast next week.


(The mini loaves still baking)

No comments:

Post a Comment