Sunday, May 17, 2009

Food For Thought...

I am really enjoying turning our little 10 acre lot into a farm. This idea of homesteading really makes me happy. Returning to our roots a little bit is not only good for myself, my daughters, but also for the earth. We are reducing our carbon footprint a little more everytime we learn to do something "the old fashioned way". (Although I'm sure Jay ruins that idea every time he races). Just this morning when I was making breakfast for Jay it dawns on me how great it is to walk out to my chicken coop grab a handful of eggs from chickens that I raise and make breakfast for him. These beautiful eggs are produced from chickens that get to roam anywhere they want on 10 acres eating bugs, grass, and any other tasty tidbit that they find.
This fall we will be processing our own pigs so then there will be bacon and ham steaks to add to the table too! Now I just need to learn how to bake bread and we would have breakfast all set.


These are two of my beautiful Black Australorp hens (Trudy & Ida):

They produce these beautiful eggs:

Which I then cook up:

Making an awesome tasting breakfast for my hubby:

No comments:

Post a Comment